- 1 L (4 cups) water
- 500 ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
- 350 g (12½ oz) castor sugar (extra-fine sugar)
- 35 g (1¼ oz) salt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) fennel seeds
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) mustard seeds
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) coriander seeds
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 branches of fresh thyme
- 1 Honey Crisp apple
- 250 ml (1 cup) marinade
- 120 g (4 oz) bacon (rindless)
- 2 Spanish onions
- Grape seed oil for cooking
- 75 ml (5 tbsp.) milk
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) honey
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) white wine vinegar
- Espelette pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) 14 Arpents cheese, rind removed
- 1 egg
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) milk
- 10 g (1/3 oz) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 50 g (1½ oz) fine breadcrumbs
- Canola oil for frying
- 10 g (1/3 oz) leaf celery stalks
- Pour water and vinegar in a large saucepan.
- Add all the dry ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to infuse for 15-20 minutes.
- Filter with a China cap strainer. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- The day before, slice the Honey Crisp apple finely using a mandoline.
- Using a round pastry cutter of around 3 cm (1 in.), cut out apple discs. Make 20 discs and leave them in the cold marinade overnight.
- Dice the bacon and fry it in a pan, over medium heat, until crispy. Place the bacon in a colander so the excess grease can drip off. Set aside.
- Peel the onions and slice them in half. Chop finely. Cook the onion in a saucepan over medium heat with a dash of grape seed oil until caramelized.
- Add 75 ml (5 tbsp.) of milk and 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of honey. Heat slightly.
- Purée with the white wine vinegar. Filter with a China cap strainer and season. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Cut the 14 Arpents cheese into four equal rectangles.
- Mix the egg with 10 ml (2 tsp.) of milk. Paner à l’anglaise each chunk by dipping the cheese in the flour, then in the egg and lastly, in the breadcrumbs. Dip the cheese into the egg and the breadcrumbs again, then set aside in the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to serve, preheat the frying oil to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Heat the onion purée and the remaining honey.
- Drain the marinated apple discs. Fry the croquettes until they are golden. Drain on paper towels and add salt.
- Place the onion purée on the plate and add the bacon. Place a croquette on top and drizzle with warm honey. Arrange the apple discs and finish up with the leaf celery stalks. Add a pinch of Espelette pepper. Serve.
Your message has been send successfully.