- 1 Small Butternut squash Salt, to taste
- 10 g (2 tsp.) Butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Water
- 1 Morteau sausage (from the butcher) or smoked sausage of your choice Water
- 250 ml (1 cup) Pure cranberry juice
- 30 g (2 tbsp.) Sugar
- 1 Champfleury cheese
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Kirsch or pear brandy
- 30 g (2 oz) Flour
- 1 Egg
- 90 g (3 oz) Plain breadcrumbs
- 1 g (½ tsp.) Powdered cumin
- 1 Red onion, brunoised (coarsely diced)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Olive oil Salt, to taste
- 60 ml (4 tbsp.) Sherry vinegar
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Canola oil
- 5 g (1 tsp.) Butter Salt, to taste
- 20 Arugula leaves
- Wash the squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Add salt and place in a baking dish.
- Add butter and water.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 1 hour or until the squash is cooked.
- Remove the skin and mash to a soft consistency with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside and keep warm.
- Put the Morteau sausage in a saucepan and cover with water. Heat water to about 185°F (85°C) and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sausage and cool.
- Cut four ½ cm slices, and then slice into cubes. Set aside.
- To make the cranberry syrup, mix pure cranberry juice with sugar and reduce over low heat until syrupy.
- Cut four 50 g (1¾ oz) chunks of Champfleury and brush with kirsch or pear brandy.
- For the breading step, prepare three plates: one with flour, one with beaten eggs and one with a mix of breadcrumbs and cumin.
- Cover the cheese with flour, shake off any excess, dip in beaten eggs, and then cover with the breadcrumbs and cumin mixture.
- In a skillet, sauté the onions with olive oil and salt.
- Once cooked, add vinegar and reduce until dry. Set aside.
- Preheat deep fryer to 350°F (180°C).
- In a skillet, sauté the diced sausage in canola oil and butter.
- When crisp, drain on a paper towel.
- Place the cheese croquettes in the deep fryer until golden brown, drain on a paper towel and lightly salt.
- Place a round pastry cutter in a deep bowl and add a tablespoon of squash.
- Add the diced sausage and a cheese croquette.
- Spoon the red onions over the cheese croquette and garnish with arugula.
- Top with small amount of cranberry syrup.
Your message has been send successfully.