- 2 large bell peppers, the colour of your choice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) chili powder
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) ground cumin
- 1 ml (¼ tsp.) Chipotle pepper, ground
- 540 ml (19 oz) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 litre(4 cups) chicken stock
- 180 g (6 oz) Le sieur Riou-x cheese, regular or smoked, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F (230 °C) or the BBQ to high.
- Grill the peppers until their skin has blackened.
- Place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 5 to 10 minutes. You can then easily remove their skin and dice the insides.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the diced peppers and spices. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the black beans and pour the chicken stock into the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- Place the diced Le sieur Riou-x in soup bowls.
- Ladle soup over the cheese.
- Top with a bit of cilantro and serve with crispy tortillas.
Looking for an alternative to this cheese?
- Visit our Firm cheeses section.
Your message has been send successfully.