- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) salted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) ham, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) pale ale
- 500 ml (2 cups) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 l (4 cups) chicken stock
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 wheel L’Origine de Charlevoix cheese (125 g / 4 ½ oz), cut into wedges
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the onion and celery for 2 minutes. Add the diced ham and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the beer and reduce by half. Add the potatoes and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the flour into the milk and pour into the pan while stirring. Simmer until thickened.
- Add the kale and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring gently. Season to taste and serve each bowl garnished with cheese wedges.
- Chowder will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Add the cheese just before serving.
Your message has been send successfully.