- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
- 4 fully ripe pears, peeled, cored, and halved
- 225 g (½ lb.) flaky pastry
- 1 beaten egg (for glaze)
- 85 to 115 g (3 to 4 oz.) coarsely cut Fleuron cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Melt sugar in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat and cook until golden.
- Add butter and mix well.
- Place pears in skillet, cut side down.
- Cook for 2 minutes and turn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll out flaky pastry until 5 mm (¼ in.) thick and cover contents of skillet.
- Brush pastry with egg and bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden and well done. Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes.
- To serve, quickly turn tarte tatin over onto a large plate. Be careful not to touch the hot caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.
Looking for a substitute for this cheese?
- Check out our selection of blue-veined cheeses.
- Tarte tatin will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Your message has been send successfully.