- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) carrots, cut in rings
- 250 ml (1 cup) parsnips, cut in rings, or celery root, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) rutabaga (turnip), diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) celery, diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) radish, cut in rings
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices of baguette
- 250 g (9 oz) Riviera Swiss cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and milk, and season generously.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 230˚C (450˚F).
- Place the bread slices on a cookie sheet and cover with grated cheese.
- Five minutes before the soup is ready, bake the bread for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with 2 warm croutons.
Your message has been send successfully.