- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) shredded Mont St-Benoît
- 4 orange, red, yellow or green peppers, as desired, blanched
- 1 kg (2 lbs) ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped black olives
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) finely chopped fresh basil
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, melt half of butter, add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add half of cheese and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large frying pan, melt remaining butter and cook chicken for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add garlic and onion, and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and olives, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add cheese sauce and basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and cool.
- Stuff peppers with chicken mixture.
- Arrange peppers in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese.
- Pour chicken broth around peppers and bake for about 20 minutes.
Your message has been send successfully.