- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) of Cheddar From Here, grated
- 250 ml (1 cup) of Vacherin Fri-Charco, grated
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of Noyan, grated
- 2 eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) chopped fresh basil
- Ground pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp) cornmeal
- 3 beaten eggs
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) sifted breadcrumbs
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
- 1 garlic glove, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes 250 ml (8 oz), drained
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh basil, finely chopped
- To prepare breading, pour flour and cornmeal in a first bowl, the 3 eggs beaten in a second and the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Use your hands to form sticks or small balls of cheese with about 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) of the mixture. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Once all the cheese sticks are formed, dip them in the flour and corn semolina mixture, then in the egg bowl. Shake off excess, then roll in the breading. Place on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 5 minutes (the cheese sticks can be prepared in advance up to this stage, then frozen until you are ready to fry them).
- Preheat the oil in the fryer to 350°F (180°C).
- Fry cheese sticks, a few at a time, for about 1 minute. If they are frozen, fry one more minute. Drain on paper towels.
- Let cool slightly and serve at once, as an appetizer, with a homemade or store-bought marinara sauce
- In a saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in butter over low heat. Add the stewed tomatoes and sugar. Then, add salt and pepper. Let simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Blend tomato mixture in a food processor or with a hand blender until desired consistency. Add the fresh basil. Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Your message has been send successfully.