- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) green peppercorns
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 ml (1 cup) red wine
- 450 g (1 lb) cubes of each of your choice of 3 meats; bison, ostrich, veal, pork, venison, duck or horsemeat
- 250 ml (1 cup) shredded St-Paulin From Here
- 1 kg (2 lbs) pie dough
- 1 kg (2 lbs) potatoes, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 750 ml (3 cups) beef broth or your choice of other broth
- 250 ml (1 cup) 15% cooking cream
- In a large bowl, combine onions, garlic, celery, green peppercorns, rosemary, bay leaves, red wine and meat cubes.
- Marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours. Add cheese to pie dough.
- Roll out a third of dough and set aside to cover meat pie.
- Roll out remaining pie dough and cut into 2.5 cm (1 in.) wide strips.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Drain meat and set aside. Strain marinade and set aside.
- In a large, deep, rectangular baking dish, arrange successive layers of meat, potatoes and dough strips. Add salt and pepper each layer to taste.
- Cover with pie dough top crust.
- Make small incisions in dough and cut a 2.5 cm (1 in.) hole in centre.
- In a large measuring cup, combine marinade with broth. Pour into hole to cover ingredients under top crust.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes then lower oven temperature to 225°F (110°C) and continue baking for 8 hours.
- Check doneness regularly and add more liquid if necessary.
- Pour cream in hole for last 10 minutes of baking.
Your message has been send successfully.