- 500 ml (2 cups) cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) carrots, coarsely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) salted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) ground mustard seeds
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) ground coriander seeds
- 375 to 500 ml (1½ to 2 cups) breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 155 g (5½ oz.) La Belle Brune de Charlevoix cheese, grated
- A little melted butter for brushing
- In a large saucepan, cook the vegetables in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and cook the onions, garlic and spices for 5 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and purée using a masher. Stir in the onion mix and 80 ml (⅓ cup) of breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper. Let cool at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (425°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the remainder of the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Add the cheese to the cooled purée and stir. Add some more breadcrumbs to the purée if it’s too liquid. Shape balls about 2 cm (¾ in.) in diameter. Place the balls in the bowl of breadcrumbs and coat well, then place them on the baking sheet.
- Brush with the melted butter and bake for 20 minutes until the vegetable acras are crispy and golden.
- Cooked vegetable acras will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. They can also be set aside in the refrigerator or freezer before cooking.
Your message has been send successfully.